Re: How do I build low pass filter?

From: John Day
Subject: Re: How do I build low pass filter?
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 15:56:39 -0500

Hi,

Here are some ways to 'despeckle' data, depending on the nature of
the noise:

1. 'Salt and pepper' spikes are often easily removed by using a median
filter.
2. A low-pass filter will attenuate spikes. Be careful on choice of
filter, some can produce more artifacts than they eliminate. I usually
use a Gaussian filter to get best results.
3. 'Detect' spikes by integrating their energy and threshold them out.
Of course this won't work if spikes are highly energetic.

Hope that helps.

-jday