Re: fit data - trendline through zero

From: heberf
Subject: Re: fit data - trendline through zero
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:29:34 -0600 (CST)

Polyfit just does a regression of Y on a constant, X, X^2, X^3 and so on up to
the order of the polynomial you are interested in.  To set the intercept to
zero
you need to create some new variables.

        y = Y - mean(Y);
        x = X - mean(X);
        x2 = X.^2 - mean(X.^2);
etc

Put the x, x2, x3 etc into a matrix Z.  The values of the line you want will be

        f = Z*inv(Z'*Z)*Z'y;

Now a simple

        plot(x,f)

will give the plot you want.  This is a true least squares fit.  In fact the
slope coefficient on xn will be the same as the slope coefficient on X^n in the
original data.  The only thing that has changed is that the intercept is zero.

Heber Farnsworth.