matlab 5.? format

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: matlab 5.? format
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:09:49 -0600 (CST)

On 29-Oct-1998, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| I have a problem with the matlab 5.x binary format:
|
| I have a application writing matlab-binary files using it's api.
| unfortunately this stuff is in 5.x format.
|
| 1) Does anybody work on a reader for matlab 5.x or knows the format?

I don't know of anyone doing this.  The format was not published.  It
appears that the MathWorks wants to keep it a secret.

| 2) Is there an octave api for writing matlab 4.x binaries?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  If you are asking whether
Octave can read or write Matlab 4.x binary data files, the answer is
yes.  That format was published.  Octave's load command should
automatically recognize Matlab 4.x binary data files.  If you want to
save data in the Matlab 4.x binary data format, use `save
-mat-binary'.  You can make that the default by setting

  default_save_format = "mat-binary"

jwe