Re: neural networks

From: H. Brown Cribbs III
Subject: Re: neural networks
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:29:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Daniel Heiserer wrote:

> Hi,
> is there something like a "neural network toolbox" available under
> octave?

I don't know if anyone has/is developing one but the basic matrix
formulations aren't too bad.  Self implementation wouldn't be all that
hard, the problem is keeping the toolbox distinct from matlab's
implementation (which I've been using since v1.0) as not to infringe on
copyright, etc.

> Has anybody experience with NN's?

Yes, I've developed artificial neural network packages (classes) under
matlab and C++ (the C++ is for my Ph.D. research).

> What about serious literature (What's the Bible)?

The list could be long, but I'll distill it down a few references I
commonly refer to in papers. First I'd look at a good textbook, then
progress to a "recipes" book (I've included one I like).  By far, I'd
advocate Zurada's 1992 book, its clear and well written.  Haykin has alot
of advanced material but is not as suited to the beginner.  The book by
Krose was/is freely available via ftp, but its been 5 years since I d/l'd
a copy its "so-so" in content and presentation.  Finally, there's the "PDP
Books" which revived the ANN movement around 1986.  You'll find the full
references at the end of this message.

Good luck,
Brown

PS: the list follows the signature block.

>>H. Brown Cribbs, III                  | Currently  Visiting:
>>The University of Alabama             |   NASA Dryden Flight Research Center
>>mailto://address@hidden  | Phone: (805)258-3417 [NASA]
>>motto: Semper Audax                   |        (805)942-8360 [HOME]

@Book{Zurada:92,
  author =       "Jacek M. Zurada",
  title =        "Introduction to Artificial Neural Systems",
  publisher =    "West Publishing Company",
  year =         1992,
  address =      "St. Paul, MN"
}

@Book{Haykin:94,
  author =       "Simon Haykin",
  title =        "Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation",
  publisher =    "IEEE Press",
  year =         1994,
  address =      "Macmillan College Publishing Company, NYC"
}
@Book{Krose:93,
  author =       "Ben J. A. Kr{\"{o}}se and P. Patrick {van der Smagt}",
  title =        "An Introduction to Neural Networks",
  publisher =    "The Unversity of Amsterdam",
  year =         1993,
  OPTkey =       "Neural Networks",
  address =      "Amsterdam, The Netherlands",
  edition =      "Fifth",
  month =        "January",
  annote =       "An introductory text on neural networks, available via
ftp."
}
@Book{Masters:93,
  author    = "Timothy Masters",
  title     = "Practical Neural Network Recipes in {C++}",
  year      = 1993,
  publisher  = "Academic Press",
  address   = "San Diego, CA",
  annote    = "A general text which offers very good [practical] insight
               into how and when to use a particular neural network
paradigm.
               Very well written with a broad spectrum of applications and
               Neural Network methods described in fairly good depth."
}
@Book{Rumelhart:86a,
  author =       "David E. Rumelhart and James L. McClelland",
  title =        "Parallel and Distributed Processing: Explorations in the
                  Microstructure of Cognition",
  publisher =    "The MIT Press",
  year =         1986,
  volume =       1,
  address =      "Cambridge, MA"
}
@Book{Rumelhart:86b,
  author =       "David E. Rumelhart and James L. McClelland",
  title =        "Parallel and Distributed Processing: Explorations in the
                  Microstructure of Cognition",
  publisher =    "The MIT Press",
  year =         1986,
  volume =       2,