Re: Compilation problems under Solaris 2.6

From: Todd Ellenberger
Subject: Re: Compilation problems under Solaris 2.6
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 98 10:08:35 PDT

Thanks for all your help, John. Today I sucessfully compiled and installed
octave,
and it looks great! The best tip came on todays postings to the info list,
namely
the message from address@hidden Re: Octave 2.1.7 on solaris 2.6 x86
saying that gnu make 3.77 does not result in the fortran libraries being
compiled
when building octave. I checked the output from my previous failed attempt, and
sure
enough the g77 compiler was never called. I installed make version 3.75 and
sure enough
during the build all the fortran libraries in libcruft were compiled and built
into
libcruft.so. In the previous (failed) attempts, libcruft.so was created, but it
must
have been void of any code. I probably could have manually compiled the
libraries into
.o files, and then run the big octave make process under make 3.77.

Thanks for all your help - I look forward to using and promoting octave at my
company
for much of the analytical work we normally handle with Matlab.

Todd Ellenberger
(address@hidden)

I will also post this to the help mailing list, as it may save someone else
some time.