Re: Win95/NT binary??

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Win95/NT binary??
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:13:30 -0500 (CDT)

On 16-Aug-1998, Andrew Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

| Well, you got farther than I did.
|
| I followed all of the instructions in the readmes, but when I got to the
| "install" portion I got a million errors and no results. It looked to me
| like it was trying to compile the thing; I guess I gave up at that
| point.
|
| My problem may have been related to the fact the 100+meg of stuff
| wouldn't fit on one hard drive, so I had the cygnus stuff on C: and the
| octave stuff on D:. Still, it didn't seem like executable files to me.

If you send the exact text of the error messages that you saw when you
tried to install Octave, perhaps someone could help you.  Without more
information, all we can do is guess what the problem is and we would
probably just waste a lot of time making incorrect guesses.

All I can say is that the procedure described in the README file
worked for me the last time I tried it, and there is evidence that it
has also worked for other people too.

I agree that Octave does not work as well as it could under Windows NT/95.
There are several possibilities for improving the situation.  Someone
could step forward and volunteer to maintain the Windows NT/95 port of
Octave, or someone could provide funding for me to do the work (I am
not a Windows NT/95 expert, nor do I have the desire to become one
just for fun).

Thanks,

jwe