f77 on Solaris 2.6

From: heberf
Subject: f77 on Solaris 2.6
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 17:07:48 -0500 (CDT)

I just changed Universities and now I'm on a Sun.  I'm trying to compile octave
but for some reason the configure script doesn't like the Sun compiler.

Do I really need f2c or g77?  What is so wierd about the Sun fortran compiler?

checking for g77... no
checking for f77... f77
checking for Fortran libraries...  -R/opt/SUNWspro/lib  -L/opt/SUNWspro/lib
-L/opt/SUNWspro/SC4.2/lib -L/usr/ccs/lib -L/usr/lib
/opt/SUNWspro/SC4.2/lib/libM77.a -lF77 -lsunmath -lm -lcx
checking whether f77 uses uppercase external names... ./configure: nm: not found
no
checking whether f77 appends underscores to external names... ./configure: nm:
not found
no
checking whether f77 is the GNU Fortran compiler... no
checking f77/f2c compatibility... no
checking for f2c... no
configure: warning: in order to build octave, you must have a compatible
configure: warning: Fortran compiler or f2c installed and in your path.
configure: error: See the file INSTALL for more information.