memory problem

From: Karen L. Kalat
Subject: memory problem
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:39:19 -0400

I'm working on an application with an octave program that goes through
the following steps.

1) executes system calls to other programs to generate and compile a C
program.

2) executes a system call to "mkoctfile" to create a .oct file
that uses the C code.

3) executes the new function (always with the same name) in Octave. The
function's return values are always assigned to the same variables.

I do this whole process over and over. I use malloc in the C program but
I make sure to deallocate any memory that is allocated.  However as I
run the program again and again in Octave the memory usage goes up and up
and I eventually run out of room.

Where is the memory being taken up? Is there something I can do to
prevent it?

Karen Kalat
Federal Reserve Board