Re: Banded matrix with dirty off-diagonal triagles

From: mhagger
Subject: Re: Banded matrix with dirty off-diagonal triagles
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:14:53 +0100 (BST)

> No, you're not wrong.  The copyright terms of UMFPACK clearly conflict
> with the GPL, so it can't be linked with Octave.
Actually if you are looking for an excellent Sparse matrix solving
package, somewhat like UMFPACK only with no restrictions, then you might
want to take a look at either SuperLU or SPOOLES (SPOOLES will run in
parallel as well, although this is a little more involved to use).  Both
packages are available via the High performance Netlib web page (a link to
this is at the bottom on the main netlib page).

I was forced to abandon using UMFPACK some time ago, partly due to the
license restrictions and partly as you had to know in advance how much
memory the sparse LU needed, which was not always very convenient when
memory was tight.

Mark

--

Note that these views in no way represent those of my employer.