Re: wierd error

From: PETER HOPFGARTNER
Subject: Re: wierd error
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 98 08:50:07 +0100

If you use Digital's Fortran, add -fpe3 to the Fortan compilation flags
(FFLAGS), for GCC, G++ and  G77
-mieee-with-inexact should be already set.

                                Peter

_________________________________
Subject: wierd error
Author:  <address@hidden > at
NOVARALINK
Date:    6/12/98 3:56 PM

I just upgraded to 2.0.13 and I get frequent
floating point exceptions.  I can get one
anytime I issue the following three commands
just after startup

Octave, version 2.0.13 (alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 John W. Eaton.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details, type `warranty'.

octave:1> multiplot(2,2)
octave:2> x = randn(100,1);
octave:3> y = randn(100,1);
error: floating point exception -- trying to return to prompt

octave:3>

Changing arguments to randn doesn't change anything.  This is not the only time
I get such exceptions but this is the only way I can get them predictably.

I suspect this is only a problem with DEC machines but can anyone verify this?

Heber K. Farnsworth              phone: (614) 292-3092
Assistant Professor of Finance    FAX: (614) 292-2418
Fisher College of Business
the Ohio State University