toc/C++/symbolic math

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: toc/C++/symbolic math
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 15:55:12 +0200

Even if nobody asked me for, I contribute my opinion too.
I think octave should stay like it is, a convention of well maintained
high-end-routines succesfully put together and having a as far as
possible and as far it makes sense compatibility to a far distributed
and excellent tool like matlab.
1) sparse matrices. I know it has a high priority on jwe's list, but I
miss it a lot. I am doing FEM and I handle big matrices. Without the
sparse formulation (like in matlab) I am a dead man. I am looking
forward for a solution.
2) 'symbolic math'. I think I initiated the discussion, so let me say a
few words about it. I think it is not necessay to include it full in the
code itself. But why don't make some IPC crap to exchange these stupid
strings between octave and a free symbolic-math programm. If somebody
hasn't got the 80$ to buy 64MB to run both jobs, he needn't invoke the
symbolic-math-package.
3) where can I find this "maxima"
4) toc returns integers. I would like to have more digits for
benchmarks. How can i achieve them?

PS: unluckily I am not very experienced in C++, but perhaps I can help a
little bit, I try

--
mfg                                 Daniel Heiserer
Daniel Heiserer, BMW AG, Knorrstrasse 147, 80788 Muenchen