Locate core dump?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Locate core dump?
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:45:58 -0500 (CDT)

On 26-May-1998, Huaiyu Zhu <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm using octave for some heavy number-crunching and got core-dumps quite
| often (after one hour computing).  My programs are quite complicated so
| it's unlikely to reproduce the bug in a shorter program.
|
| Since octave says " .... stopping myself", I'm wondering if it's possible
| to show the calling sequence when it failed.  That way I may be able to
| localize it in a shorter program.
|
| error: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
| attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
| save to `octave-core' complete
| error: attempted clean up seems to have failed -- aborting...
| IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)
| address@hidden:~/matlab/diffuse3$ octave
| Octave, version 2.0.5 (i486-pc-linux-gnu).
| Copyright (C) 1996 John W. Eaton.
| This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
| For details, type `warranty'.

Version 2.0.5 is ancient.  You should probably upgrade to 2.0.13,
which was released last week.  The newer release includes many bug
fixes and improvements over 2.0.5.  It will also produce a core file
if it happens to crash (subject to an resource limits, of course).  If
that doesn't help, you can always run Octave under the debugger.

jwe