building octave-2.0.12 binaries for Solaris 2.5

From: Steven N Harp
Subject: building octave-2.0.12 binaries for Solaris 2.5
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 18:32:53 -0400 (EDT)

I was attemting to build a binary distribution and recevied the
following

gcc -o kpsewhich -static kpsewhich.o ../kpathsea/STATIC/libkpathsea.a -lm
dlclose                             /usr/lib/libc.a(nss_deffinder.o)
dlsym                               /usr/lib/libc.a(nss_deffinder.o)
dlopen                              /usr/lib/libc.a(nss_deffinder.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to kpsewhich
make[2]: *** [kpsewhich] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/snh/src/octave-2.0.12/kpathsea'
make[1]: *** [kpathsea] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/snh/src/octave-2.0.12'
make: *** [binary-dist] Error 2

here is part of what was created with

Octave is now configured for sparc-sun-solaris2.5

  Source directory:     .
  Installation prefix:  /usr/local
  C compiler:           gcc  -g -O2 -Wall
  C++ compiler:         c++  -fno-rtti -fno-implicit-templates -g -O2 -Wall
  Fortran compiler:     f77 -O
  Fortran libraries:    -Xlinker -R -Xlinker /opt/SUNWspro/lib
-L/opt/SUNWspro/lib -L/opt/SUNWspro/SC4.0/lib -L/usr/ccs/lib -L/usr/lib
/opt/SUNWspro/SC4.0/lib/libM77.a -lF77 -lsunmath -lm -lcx
  Use GNU readline:     true
  Default pager:        less
  gnuplot:              gnuplot

  Do internal array bounds checking:       false
  Build shared libraries:                  false
  Minimal kernel option:                   false
  Dynamic Linking (dlopen/dlsym):          false
  Dynamic Linking (shl_load/shl_findsym):  false

configure: warning: I didn't find runtest -- install DejaGNU if you want to run

 I have built and installed this version of octave on this system for
 my own use with the following

./configure --enable-shared --enable-rpath --prefix=/home/snh/octave

My system does not use /usr/local as the standard prefix, I am not
sure if that matters.

Thanks for any help, I am trying to increase the availibilty of
binaries for octave.

Steve

--
                        Steven Harp, address@hidden
        Applied Research Laboratory/The Pennsylvania State University