Re: Reduced Echelon Form...

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick
Subject: Re: Reduced Echelon Form...
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:09:58 -0600 (CST)

        Sorry about the delay, I got busy and forgot about this email.

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Dirk Laurie wrote:

> > On 12-Nov-1997, Ryan Kirkpatrick <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > |   I have a quick question for all of you Octave people... Is there
> > | a function / way to get the reduced echelon form of a matrix using Octave?
>
> What do you mean by "the" reduced echelon form?

        What I mean is:

        rref([4 5  2 0;
              2 7  9 0;
              8 10 4 0])

        results in

        [ 1 0 -1.7222 0;
          0 1 1.7777  0;
          0 0 0       0]

        This is an example, where each row starts with a one, that the
colunm that contains a starting one is all zeros save that one, and the
matrix is an upper triangular matrix.

        Your method is close to what I am looking for but not quite.
Hopefully this will make clearer what I am looking for.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | address@hidden  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |