Octave/Matlab compatibility

From: Gopalakrishnan Harikumar
Subject: Octave/Matlab compatibility
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:13:23 -0600

Hello,

I am running octave 2.0.9 on Linux 2.0.30.
I have read the faq on minimizing the differences
between octave and matlab, and put the following in
my .octaverc file:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PS1 = '>> ';
PS2 = '';
default_save_format = 'mat-binary';
define_all_return_values = 1;
do_fortran_indexing = 1;
empty_list_elements_ok = 1;
implicit_str_to_num_ok = 1;
ok_to_lose_imaginary_part = 1;
page_screen_output = 0;
prefer_column_vectors = 0;
prefer_zero_one_indexing = 1;
print_empty_dimensions = 0;
treat_neg_dim_as_zero = 1;
warn_function_name_clash = 0;
gnuplot_has_frames = 1;
gnuplot_has_multiplot = 1;
whitespace_in_literal_matrix = 'traditional';

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My problem is that some  matlab files still do
not work properly under octave. For example, the function
psd in Matlab's signal processing toolbox.

For example, the following two lines which work okay in Matlab 4.x

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

a = randn(100,1)
pa = psd(a,16,1,16)

gives the following errors:

error: octave_base_value::string_value(): wrong type argument `matrix'
error: eval: expecting string argument
error: evaluating index expression near line 42, column 43
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 42, column 42
error: called from `psd' in file

Are there any more variables that I have to set?

Thanks.

Hari.