Re: Loading of Matlab 5 Files

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Loading of Matlab 5 Files
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 19:19:44 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Andy Adler wrote:
> >Are the specs for the Matlab 5 binary file format publicly available?
> >If so, would anyone be interested in writing the code for Octave?
> It doesn't appear to be that way...
> I just looked at http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/v4/7279.html

To follow up my own post, I found a description of
how to do this at
 http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/v4/8757.html

Basically, it's a library with appropriate functions to
manipulate .mat files. You get the *.h and *.so files
for your architecture at
 ftp://ftp.mathworks.com/pub/tech-support/library/extern/lib/YOUR_ARCH

and then you compile it with the switches given in

ftp.mathworks.com/pub/tech-support/library/matlab5/bin/readmemat.txt

There is an example at

ftp.mathworks.com/pub/tech-support/library/extern/examples/mex/mexload.c

In Linux, you compile with

after you get the following libraries and include files
libmat.so, libmx.so, libmi.so, libut.so, mat.h, matrix.h

Mathworks justification for this is:
> Updating the Libraries
>
> The API libraries are subject to change. However, it is not necessary
> for you to recompile your MAT-file applications each time the libraries
> change. If you update the shared libraries on your system by copying down
> the latest versions from The MathWorks FTP site and replacing the old ones
> with the new ones, your MAT-file applications will use the new version.

I don't know if this is a tolerable solution for octave though.

Can mathworks libraries be included along with GPL source?

Or can the source contain the hooks and have a message for the
user to ftp the libraries him/herself?

Any other ideas?
Andy Adler,    | Pulmonary Physiology Unit         | Lab 303-398-1626
address@hidden | National Jewish Center,Denver,USA | Fax 303-398-1607

   For the Snark _was_ a Boojum, you see.    -Lewis Carroll