Re: How do I translate Matlab's colon into Octave?

From: Jeppe Sigbrandt
Subject: Re: How do I translate Matlab's colon into Octave?
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:08:43 +0100

> From: Dirk Laurie <address@hidden>
> I've got zillions of old Matlab 3.5 routines that rely on one of the
> following devices:
>
>   1.  x(:) returns the contents of x as a column vector
>   2.  y(:)=x assigns the contents of x to y, retaining the
>       present shape of y

Dirk,

Am not sure I understand the problem.  Isn't this doing
what you ask?

octave:2> x=1:10;
octave:3> x(:)
ans =

   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10

octave:4> y=zeros(10,1);
octave:5> y(:)=x
y =

   1
   2
   3
   4
   5
   6
   7
   8
   9
  10

Notice that I deliberately tried to confuse octave
by feeding y (10 rows, 1 column) the vector x
(10 columns, 1 row).

Regards,
jay