Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:22:42 -0500

On  9-Jul-1997, Russell Albright <address@hidden> wrote:

| You can run the digital unix binaries at
| ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/2.0.8/ on redhat alpha.
| I tried it out and it works. This solution may require a digital unix
| license however. I am not sure.

Those binaries are statically linked, so you shouldn't need the DU
libraries.  I don't think you need the DU licenses, but don't quote me
on that -- I don't know the legal details.

But for those of us who are interested in seeing free software work
well on its own, it would be best to find and squash the bugs rather
than just avoid them by using non-free solutions.

Thanks,

jwe