slowness of Schur decomposition in octave-2

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: slowness of Schur decomposition in octave-2
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 97 16:58 MET

With a huge delay (one month and half, approximately, I am sorry), I
forward to the list extracts from two messages that Klaus Gebhardt
sent to me, explaining why octave-2 is slow on some platforms when
doing Schur decomposition.

By the way, this slowness -- which depends on platforms -- is the
reason why I have stopped collecting benchmark results for octave-2.