[no subject]

From: Bryce Gardner
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 11:11:34 +0500

Subject: Re: Symbolic functions (retry!)

Sorry about the nearly null message.  I don't know where the rest
went.  Here it is again:

> > >These terms are incompatible with the GPL, so we can't use MuPAD with
> > >Octave.

> Last time I checked (about a year ago) the authors were still
> considering making MuPAD GPL.  They want MuPAD to be used as much as
> possible by as many people as possible.  They were concerned that the
> GPL might actually hurt Mu-Pad's distribution and acceptance.
> Perhaps, some of us should write to then again as ask them to
> reconsider the GPL, with a convincing argument.

Perl has a GPL license and a "artistic" license and quite widespread use.
It is open for commercial use in some ways and that may be a problem.

This brings up a topic that I have been mulling over.  The company that
I work for sells a numerical acoustical analysis package.  It would be
really nice to have an embedded programming language.  Octave would be
perfect.  There are two main drawbacks:  Octave is not set up to be an
embedded language and the GPL.

Here is my question:  If a user-callable interface could be made
to Octave, could an "Octave library" be placed under the library version
of the GPL (LGPL ?)?

Bryce

Bryce Gardner
address@hidden