PGPLOT

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: PGPLOT
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 01:39:27 -0500

On 21-May-1997, James Ryan <address@hidden> wrote:

| I just got a rpm of pgplot and the demos.  I think that this is just
| an excellent piece of software.  Everything is written in fortran, but
| a simple c++ wrapper would do the trick.
|
| Has any thought gone into using PGPLOT as the plotting routines?  I
| believe that they are FREEWARE!

There are plans to improve Octave's plotting capabilities.
Unfortunately, I've not had much time to work on this project yet.

I don't plan to use pgplot, because apparently it is only freely
available for non-commercial use.

A similar library that is distributed under the GPL is plplot, but I'm
not sure that it is being actively maintained these days.

I also know of several other plotting packages, each with its own set
of stregths and weaknesses.

In any case, I intend to make Octave's internal plotting interface
relatively generic so that it will be possible for users to different
plotting packages if they wish.  I plan to provide at least one sample
implementation, but I'm still undecided about which plotting package I
will use.

jwe