[no subject]

From: Mark Naylor
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:35:06 +0100 (MET)

Hello Everyone,

I wrote an email yesterday about an error message
"error: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt"

I thought that there was a limit in octave to the amount of memory that
could be used (regardless of the memory available in the computer).
This was wrong, I'll explain why I thought it so.

We have matlab here also. When I use matlab I can create very large matrices,
when I used octave I could not. I did not initially realised that when I
ran matlab, the program was being run on a different machine to the one I
thought. I have since run octave on this other machine and the memory
errors have gone.

I'd like to thank everyone for the email messages I received on this subject.

regards

                        Mark.