Experiences with octave 1.93 on DEC-Alpha

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Experiences with octave 1.93 on DEC-Alpha
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:48:30 -0600

On  6-Dec-1996, Peter Bruhn <address@hidden> wrote:

: 1. Calculations like 222^222 do not give "Inf" but "1.7977e+308".

IEEE floating point math is not fully supported by gcc 2.7.2 on the
DEC Alpha.  I believe this problem will be fixed with gcc 2.8.0 (the
next major release).  No, I don't know any better than anyone else
when that might be available.

: 2. fscanf does not work properly (not as documented and not as it
:    works with octave 1.1.1
:
:    Both fscanf(fnum, "%s") and fscanf(fnum, "%c") read the whole
:    contents of a file, instead of just a word or just a character.

Sorry, the documentation is lagging a bit behind.

The C-style I/O functions are now compatible with Matlab by default
(it seemed to be what people wanted).

If you want the old behavior, you can use

  fscanf (fnum, "%s", "C")

or

  fscanf (fnum, "%c", "C")

jwe