Re: Matlab ginput

From: niles
Subject: Re: Matlab ginput
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 96 23:57:50 -0500

> : Therefore I warmly welcome John's announced intention to develop octave
> : graphics in a new direction, and will be happy to help as best I
> : can.
>
> Anyone who is interested in discussing implementation details of new
> graphics and GUI tools for Octave is welcome to join a mailing list
> that I have set up for that purpose.  Just send me mail to join.

Yes! Please check out

http://axp745.gsfc.nasa.gov/java/XYPlot/

(make sure you try all three mouse buttons...)

It's something I whipped up in a few days of Java...  But I really
think Java is the way to go!!  It's system independent so the GUI will
theoretically work under all OS's.  MS is already causing
problems...but I don't think that's a show stopper.  Java is cool
too..  Better Object orientated that C++ (IMHO).  It's somewhat
slow but really not too bad.. and we could work out a Web server
based Octave...for education and demos!

I know some people had there heart set on Tk, but I really think this
will be more portable and in the tradition of Octave's cutting
edge...(I'd guess C++ was somewhat new when jwe started), and OO
design.  Of course, I know little of Tk so I'm prepared to be flamed..
but let's kill the Tcl idea already..it's a minor scripting language.

        Rick Niles.