Re: Creating Local History Files

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: Creating Local History Files
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 23:35:29 +0100 (GMT+0100)

( Re Message From: John W. Eaton )

> In any case, it appears that I overlooked a much simpler solution:
>
>   export OCTAVE_HISTFILE=local-histfile
>   octave
>
> This will even work in 1.1.1.  :-)

BINGO !!  I'll buy it! Just the job. (OCTAVE_HISTFILE doesn't seem to be
documented; anyway, I've done a "strings octave" and have now found a few
interesting envvar-like things).

> I don't know if I have mentioned it here yet or not (and the way
> things have been going lately, perhaps I should just keep silent...)
> but the last major thing that is holding everything else up is adding
> the ability for users to define their own types and link them in on
> the fly.  It is almost ready for others to start testing.  I hope this
> will turn out to be useful enough to justify the additional delay.

This should be extremely useful: no doubt will mesh usefully with the
associative-array structures (which, if I remember from discussion many
months ago, will be much more flexible and accessible in their new
incarnation).

> Instead of using a specific file for this, I've added an atexit()
> function so you can register any number of functions to call when
> Octave exits.  So it should be fairly simple to arrange to execute
> commands from a given file if that's what you want to do.

Should be ample for the purpose.

Many thanks,
Ted.                                    (address@hidden)