Creating Local History Files

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Creating Local History Files
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:35:22 +0100 (GMT+0100)

Hi folks,

Using octave-1.1.1, I would like to be able to start up octave in any
chosen directory and have the history file for that session in the
directory I start from (or a related one).

The idea is that octave files specific to a project live in a
sub-directory tree specific to that project. It would be very convenient
to have the history contain only previous commands specific to the
project. At present octave creates and maintains ~/.octave_hist, so when I
come back to a project having worked on others the history contains
commands from everything. I would like to be able to start octave so that
./.octave_hist is treated exactly as ~/.octave_hist is at present.

I have tried looking through the documentation, but have found nothing
helpful. For instance, something on the lines of putting into the octaverc
file a line like

        hist_dir="./"

would do nicely, or putting something similar into the command line.

Any suggestions?

With thanks,
Ted.                                    (address@hidden)