cputime on a SunOS-5.5 machine

From: niles
Subject: cputime on a SunOS-5.5 machine
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 14:35:45 -0500

OK well here's a semi- bug report for you all.

octave:1> getrusage
octave:2> whos
octave:3>

This doesn't seem to get defined on my SunOS-5.5 and HPUX-9 machines.
Therefore cputime is broken.  Perhaps it would be more friendly to
have it check if getrusage() returns anything..However,

a = getrusage;
error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 12, column 3

This may be a problem since you can't even try to assign anything to
it.  I think this should probably return the null vector [].  What do
you think?  Then one could check the length(a) != 0 then say something
like: "Sorry cputime is not available on this machine."

This a reason why NOT to use "cputime" in the bm.m program.

        Rick Niles.