Slow performance on Linux

From: Evan Thomas
Subject: Slow performance on Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 17:54:22 +1100

I have recently installed octave-1.1.1 on a PC-pentium/133 and a Sun
SPARC station 2, both with 32Mb memory. Published benchmark figures and
my own experience would suggest that the PC should be significantly
faster than the Sun. However the opposite is true. In fact, for the
calculations I've been doing, the Linux machine is unusable (almost as
if it wasn't using the floating point unit(?)).

Is this what I should expect or have I configured/done something wrong?

The system is Linux kernel 1.3.72 on top of a Debian 0.93R6
distribution. I've tried the both the binary and source distributions of
octave.

Thanks, Evan.

--
Evan Thomas