Parameters to executable Octave programs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Parameters to executable Octave programs
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 00:55:03 -0600

Matthias Roessler <address@hidden> wrote:

: As described in section "1.3 Executable Octave Programs" I made my
: octave programs executable. How do I pass parameters from the command
: line to my program? I would like to do something like this:
:
: #!/local/octave/bin/octave -qf
:
: temperature = $1;
: pressure    = $2;
: epsilon     = $3;
:
: result = Start_my_calculation_with(temperature, pressure, epsilon);

It isn't possible to do this directly with released versions of
Octave, but it works in my current sources and will be in the next
release:

  $ cat print-args
  #! /usr/local/octave-ss/bin/octave -qf

  printf ("%s\n%s\n", program_invocation_name, program_name);

  for i = 1:nargin
    printf ("arg #%d: %s\n", i, argv(i,:));
  end

  $ ./print-args foo bar baz