strcat string manipulation

From: John Utz
Subject: strcat string manipulation
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 16:07:50 -0800 (PST)

Hello again;

        First, thanks to everybody who helped me with my LSODE stuff! Now
i am writing an mfile to save these plots as an Xfig-3.1.1 file.

strings are defeating me, tho. :-(

i just grabbed all the great stuff from U of Vigo's most excellent
archive of m files. There is a lot of groovy stuff there.

there is a strcat function in there that seems to convert to substrings
into a matrix.

i dont want to do that!

i want to create a filename to pass to :

set output "foo.fig"

octave:46> strcat ( "foo", ".fig" )
ans = foo.fig

ans = foo.fig *should* be "foo.fig" IMHO.

How do i make this happen? is there another way to do this? or is there a
variable i need to set? implicit_str_to_num_ok does not seem to do it.

thankyou for your help!

 John Utz       address@hidden
        idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life