Octave/Matlab gcc front end?

From: niles
Subject: Octave/Matlab gcc front end?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 08:47:41 -0400

I've seen many engineers spending lots of time converting large
Matlab/Octave m-files into C or Ada code to make them run faster.

As just as an idea, would it be possable to make an Octave front end
for gcc so you could compile your matlab functions?  Would it
improve preformance significantly?  I would think so if there are many
for loops.  In a way this is a variation of the MEX-file concept, but
in this way your m-file could be independent programs.

What do you think?

        Thanks,
        Rick Niles.