Re: Octave /tmp files

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: Octave /tmp files
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 95 18:44:23 CDT

Hi Ted:

One solution to this (which I use as we have very small disk space for /tmp)
is to use environment variable TMPDIR to specify alternate tmp directory.
 I use that to point to a dir in a large partion and thus avoid problems with
running out of space for gnuplot plotting.

The new gnuplot (v 3.6) supports data through input stream and thus
John Eaton can fix this problem for next Octave release.

-Vinayak-

#Hi Folks,
#
#I have been doing a big job with octave with gnuplot as the graphics
#engine (spectra etc of over 500 time series) as a batch job.
#
#Whenever octave plots somethiing, it creates a file /tmp/oct-[something],
#and this may be quite large. It seems that octave does not delete these
#files until octave exits.
#
#In this job, these /tmp files were building up to over 50MB unless the job
#was paused from time to time for them to be deleted extraneously.
#
#Granted the most recent file could be needed for "replot": but even "clg"
#does not delete any of them.
#
#I think it is desirable that some garbage collection should be available
#for these files. Previous ones don't seem to be of the slightest use once
#a new plot has been started.
#
#Ted.                                    (address@hidden)
#