Re: Octave /tmp files

From: niles
Subject: Re: Octave /tmp files
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 95 19:33:02 -0400

>Whenever octave plots something, it creates a file /tmp/oct-[something],
>and this may be quite large.

>I think it is desirable that some garbage collection should be available
>for these files. Previous ones don't seem to be of the slightest use once
>a new plot has been started.

>From Octave's help -i

`purge_tmp_files'
     Delete the temporary files created by the plotting commands.

     Octave creates temporary data files for `gnuplot' and then sends
     commands to `gnuplot' through a pipe.  Octave will delete the
     temporary files on exit, but if you are doing a lot of plotting
     you may want to clean up in the middle of a session.

     A future version of Octave will eliminate the need to use temporary
     files to hold the plot data.

Also, the environmental variable TMPDIR is the location where the tmp
files will be placed.  Try setting it to a hard drive partition that
has more space than the one with /tmp.

        Hope this helps,
        Rick Niles.