Re: Using quad() for multidimensional integration

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: Using quad() for multidimensional integration
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 95 12:26:09 CDT

Francesco Potorti Writes:
#The same on alpha gives 0.5, with approximately the same outputs.  The
#problem here is that clearly quad forgets about 'U' once it calls 'V',
#that is supposedly the effect of quad using some global variable as
#Dutt said (I have not the sources here).  It also seems strange, as
#Ted pointed out, that the first pass to get the 0.12 needs so many
#iterations.

Now to me it more and more looks like problem with global variables. There
is a static variable user_fcn which keeps track of function to be integrated.
And
its seems that it gets overwritten in the second quad() call inside the first
function
to be integrated. So in the current form of Octave, recursion may not
be possible, and, thus I can forget about multi-dimensional integration :-(
Also Ted says quadrature is no good for mutli-dimensional integration anyway :-(

Maybe Mike Riles modifications might help. But I am quite clueless when it comes
to C++.

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt
 * ex-graduate student, ultrasound research
 * mayo graduate school, rochester mn
 *
 * e-mail: address@hidden
 *         address@hidden