Re: octave and gnuplot

From: John Eaton
Subject: Re: octave and gnuplot
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 19:02:48 EDT

David Denholm <address@hidden> wrote:

:    I'm not a user of octave (anyone got VMS binaries ?), but I am
: the current maintainer of gnuplot, which I believe is used by octave
: for graphics.
:
: Since the release of gnuplot 3.6 is approaching, I thought I should
: 1) make sure the octave community is aware that 3.6 beta is available
:    from cmpc1.phys.soton.ac.uk
: 2) seek opinions on any last-minute changes which would improve the
:    interface.

Sorry for the delay in responding (I've been very busy with some other
things lately).

I think the two major things are support for multiplot (which I'm told
is now in the current beta release) and support for data in the same
stream as commands, so Octave doesn't have to create temporary data
files.

As for VMS binaries, I don't know of anyone who has tried to port it,
but I suppose it should be posible.  I don't use VMS myself now, but
I'm about to have a slightly different job where VMS is used quite a
bit, so maybe it will happen someday.  (It would probably be easier if
gcc worked on Alphas running VMS instead of just on VAXen running VMS,
but that may happen too, who knows?)

Thanks,

jwe