Re: Support for PGPlot in Octave

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: Support for PGPlot in Octave
Date: Fri, 5 May 95 10:22:16 CDT

Joao Cardoso:
#
#I thing that a good plotting facility should be both portable to other
#environments (DOS, OS2, Win, etc), and provide _good_ printing/saving
#facilities, mainly PostScript. Gnuplot has such features. Does PGPLOT has
#those features also?
#
#Thanks for trying to improve graphics in octave,
#

 I don't think Octave will run on DOS. (Why even bother :-) Anyway, what I
know of PGPLOT:

* It runs on Unix and VMS
* Written in Fortran
* Important for me:  Has good support for image display
* Has support for many graphics formats including Postscript (if it did not have
   PS support, I would not have bothered to support it)
* Has support for many terminals Tek, X11 etc

Second choice of Tcl:

* I find pretty easy to code in Tcl (this is purely subjective, I know)
* Can do interactive stuff with it
* Ported to Unix, Windoz, and Mac

--vinayak-
/*