Re: Precision & "densimetric" plots

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: Precision & "densimetric" plots
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 11:01:22 +0200 (BST)

( Re Message From: Sandro Dentella )

> 2)
>    I would like to plot some functions in 2D, "densimetric fashion"
>    (areas of a particular range of values rendered with the same shadow
>    of gray or density of dots). The purpoise is to compare the result with
>    photos of field-pattern from a laser. It would be enought to have it
>    done for post-script format: any suggestions?
>
>    Thanks in advance for ideas and explanations  *:-)

Gnuplot can't do this of its own accord because it does not "fill" closed
regions: and this is because gnuplot has no internal concept of a closed
region, so there's nothing to fill, as it were (all gnuplot does is draw
lines, and it doesn't notice when the endpoint of one line meets the start
of an earlier line).

You could try computing a pattern of points within octave, of different
densities according to region, and sending these to be plotted
individually. This however is tedious and may blow a fuse in gnuplot.

An alternative is to change the plotting package from gnuplot to something
else. I use "Plotmtv" which does a very nice job of this kind of thing.
I posted a few skeleton interface routines between octave and plotmtv a
few days ago, and am planning to put up some more shortly.

Ted.                                    (address@hidden)