Re: Octave graphics and Octave in teaching laboratories

From: niles
Subject: Re: Octave graphics and Octave in teaching laboratories
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 94 09:11:32 -0500

Even Octave 1.1 which should be released very soon doesn't support
subplot.  The problem is that Gnuplot 3.5 doesn't support multiple
plots per page.  However, I ftp'ed the "Woo multiplot" patch from
ftp.dartmouth.edu:/pub/gnuplot/contrib.  Implementing subplot as a
m-file was not difficult after that and it works quite well.  John
Eaton told me he wants to establish a better two-way communication
with Gnuplot (currently the communication is only one way).  This
would be the first step to any changes in the interface with Gnuplot.
Convincing the Gnuplot maintainers to add the Woo multiplot patch to a
new version of Gnuplot, say 3.6, remains the current stumbling block.
When multiplot, or something similar, becomes part of Gnuplot then a
subplot feature will be implemented.

However, you should still upgrade to Octave 1.1 when it comes out, it
has many new features and bug fixes.  :)

        Rick Niles.