Some basic questions

From: Wichaya Changwatchai
Subject: Some basic questions
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 1994 09:45:21 -0600 (CDT)

Some more basic questions:

1) Is there an up-to-date man page for octave?  There doesn't seem to be one
included in the octave-1.0 distribution I downloaded from ftp.che.utexas.edu.

2) Is there an initialization script that can automatically be called every
time octave is invoked?  I'd like to initialize PS1 and some other user prefs
each time I start up octave.  I've tried doing:

        octave initfile

but that just seems to run whatever's in the initfile and then quit.

3) When I try to use forward-search-history (C-s), apparently Octave doesn't
intercept the keystroke and it performs a pause (and I have to unpause with
C-q).  Is there a way I can enable this?

4) Even though reverse-search-history (C-r) is an incremental search, I can't
seem to get it to revise the search, i.e., if I try to backspace during the
search to edit my search word, it drops out of search mode (unlike in GNU
emacs).  Is there a way of revising an incremental search in the middle of that
search?

5) I tried M-C-j to toggle to vi editing mode, but I couldn't toggle back to
emacs mode, either inside insertion mode or outside.  (I had to exit Octave to
re-enable emacs mode)  Why is this?

In case it's needed, I'm running Octave 1.0 on a SPARC 10 under Solaris 2.3.

Thanks,

Top
--
W. Top Changwatchai