Fatal make error

From: R. Chip Hinde
Subject: Fatal make error
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 16:41:48 -0700

Hi -

I just spent a day ftp'ing, building, and installing the folloing on a Sun
Sparc Station 2 running SunOS 4.1.3_U1:

bison-1.22/     flex-2.4.7/     gcc-2.6.0/      libg++-2.6/     make-3.71/

I followed the very basic installation procedures without any special
swithces (Let me warn you, I'm a unix and Sun novice).  When installing the
gcc-2.6, I created the stage2 and stage3 compilers, compared them and found
no difference.  According to the gnu installation documentation, I took
this to mean that there was no error in the gcc instalation.

When I unzipped and untarred octave-1.0, configure seemed to find
everything it was looking for.  However, when I ran make, I got this
message:

make: Fatal error in reader: Makeconf, line 48: Unexpected end of line seen

I looked at the line, but not being familiar with the language octave is
written in, I could not make heads nor tails of the error message.

Would you please either reply or call to give me some clue of what I did
wrong?  Thank you.

- Chip

R. Chip Hinde
ESA-9, MS G789