Re: Future Direction of GNU Hurd?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Future Direction of GNU Hurd?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:03:25 +0200

arnuld <arnuld.mizong@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 7:05 PM
>> Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:
>
>> .. SNIP..
>> If anything, the past decade has shown that the features the Hurd
>> provides make it much easier to implement very compelling features.
>
> This is definitely true. You got it right. I have been around the GNU
> and Hurd community long to understand this. Design and architecture of
> Hurd is what made this possible. I was so sad that Hurd could not go
> mainstream but life is always unpredictable.

I think that a lot of this comes down to money. The architecture of the
Hurd allowed a handful of volunteers to build a system which is now only
one command away on my Guix system, but this advantage does not make up
for the difference in raw programming time that goes into the Hurd and
Linux.

That said: I can now get into a Hurd like this:

sudo herd start hurd-vm; ssh root@localhost -p 10022

Configured via

(operating-system
 ; …
 (services (append
            (list
             ; …
             (service hurd-vm-service-type
                      (hurd-vm-configuration
                       (disk-size (* 5000 (expt 2 20))) ;5G
                       (memory-size 1024)))             ;1024MiB
             ; …
 ; …

Best wishes,
Arne