Re: Future Direction of GNU Hurd?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Future Direction of GNU Hurd?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 15:34:12 +0200

Paul Boddie <paul@boddie.org.uk> writes:

> After all, despite the almost singular emphasis in advocacy around the
> project of translators being the Hurd's most compelling feature which
> seems like a hard sell to most people these days

Where did you get that from?

And more importantly: Where did you see advocacy? I have not seen much
advocacy for the past 10 years. There’s the odd article or talk now and
then, but that’s it.

Translators are a building block to make other features easier.

The past years have seen the pains people go through to club together
features in Linux that are much easier to realize in the Hurd.

If anything, the past decade has shown that the features the Hurd
provides make it much easier to implement very compelling features.

Also did you catch subhurds becoming usable without root?

And adding permissions at runtime, which is the clean way of doing what
flatpak gets into GNU Linux in a way that makes many programs much less
convenient to work with?

Or Guix adding a hurd-vm as system-service?
https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2020/a-hello-world-virtual-machine-running-the-hurd/

Best wishes,
Arne
--