Porting distributions (was: installing Hurd)

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Porting distributions (was: installing Hurd)
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 14:30:04 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 07:47:17AM -0500, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:

> I would like to know what proceedure I would have to follow and the
> how to develop the skills required to make the Trisquel/Ututo versions
> with Hurd kernel.

As Trisquel is Ubuntu- and thus Debian-based, it should be pretty
straight-forward -- almost everything should just work out of the box,
once you enable hurd-i386 architecture. The only tricky part is
bootstrapping the build environment. I'm not too familiar with that
stuff; but I guess you could just use a build chroot based on Debian
GNU/Hurd initially, but set it up to build Trisquel packages using
Trisquel sources.

Ututo is trickier. There was once an attempt to created Gentoo GNU/Hurd,
but it didn't get very far, as the system was not stable enough back
then to make a source-based distribution feasible. The stuff there is
probably way too old by now to help with bootstrapping; but it might
give some inspiration.

-antrik-