Arch Hurd progress

From: Allan McRae
Subject: Arch Hurd progress
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:04:25 +1000

Hi,

I thought I would give a bit of an overview of where the Arch Hurd project is up to. There are two main people doing most of the packaging at the moment (not including me - time taken by Arch Linux lately has restricted me to more of adviser lately...) and there appear to be several other interested people from the mailing list and forum thread. So it is building up the core team it needs to get things done.

We have passed several important milestones. Firstly, we managed to cross compile a booting i686-pc-gnu system. The major stumbling block there was gnumach. When compiling for i686 it requires -O1 to be used. -O0 results in a build error and -O2 results in the boot process stalling very, very early on. There are no such issues for i[45]86. Once that was out of the way, the biggest issue we had was getting gcc to work natively. That took orders of magnitude more time than getting an actual booting system. But now we have an up-to-date and working toolchain (gcc-4.4.3, glibc-2.11.1, binutils-2.20.1). We have a working package manager (pacman) and have most of a minimal development system compiled (see http://www.archhurd.org/packages.php for the list of packages). The current system compiles and plays Rogue nicely!

Our main focus is getting the basic system a bit more polished, in terms adding new software and improving current packages (especially re-enabling features that were disabled due to lack of available dependencies). We are also beginning to look at basic usability setup (which translators and devices to start, getting out of single user mode, etc). So we are still a while off being able to provide a QEMU image that will represent an Arch Hurd system, but we are doing quite well for just over three months progress.

Allan