Re: SVG logo

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: SVG logo
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 01:38:14 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 10:16:04AM +0200, Miche wrote:

> But now that i've had a short look into writing SVG by hand, i want to
> show You my results. I have attached a handwritten Version of the
> Logo.

Note that a hand-written SVG version has been available for some time on

   http://www.gnu.org/graphics/hurd_sm_mf.jpg

In fact, it's even linked from the URL mentioned in the original mail
since March 2008...

Still, it's rather nice :-) When comparing to the variant mentioned
above, I was not quite sure which one I like better, so I matched the
size to the original version, and started looking for subtle differences
-- and finally to fix it up myself. Here is what I found:

- The long arrows are *much* closer to the original in your version, and
  subjectively look better too IMHO. Have not touched them.

- The short arrows don't quite match the original in *any* of the SVG
  versions -- not in the Inkscape-generated in the original mail, not in
  the other hand-written variant mentioned above, and not in yours.
  While not an exact reproduction of the original, your's don't really
  look worse though I would say, so I left it as is.

- The line width was a tiny bit to thin I think (while in the above
  version it's definitely too thick), so I increased it slightly from
  1.5 to 1.6.

- The arrows were definitely too small. Bumped from 2.5 to 3.

- The position of the arrows was wrong. The sophisticated calculation
  you did is actually not desired: The arrow heads *do* melt into the
  boxes in the original. Changed accordingly.

- The corners were rounded way too strong (while in the above version
  they are not rounded at all) -- in the original, they are only very
  slightly rounded. I changed it to use stroke-linejoin (inspired by the
  Inscape version) instead of rx/ry, and it's much closer to the
  original now.

- One thing surprised me that all three SVG versions, though on a
  transparent background, use white filled boxes. That seems illogical
  to me, so I changed it.

I also used stylesheets like in the above variant to simplify the code,
and removed some unnecessary bits from the SVG element (we don't need
XPath nor events). I wasn't sure about the profile=full bit though. Is
it really necessary?

(Note that I actually have no clue about SVG; I just played with what
was already there :-) )

-antrik-