Re: Debian/Hurd won't boot

From: Tomas Tintera
Subject: Re: Debian/Hurd won't boot
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:52:26 +0200

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:35 +0200, Daniel Kraft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in experimenting with GNU/Hurd and am now trying to
> install it as second system on my PC. I followed the instructions for
> Debian GNU/Hurd:
>
> http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install
>
> (using a downloaded fresh .tgz file not a CD)
>
> As native system, I'm running i686-gnu-linux and GRUB legacy (0.97) as
> bootloader.
>
> When I try to boot mach / the Hurd as described, I get some output
> first but after about 10 seconds the machine automatically reboots

Recently, I have experienced the same problem, using GRUB 2. I noticed
that if I set GNU/Hurd as a default entry, boot the computer and let
GRUB load the OS without touching the keyboard, everything goes well.

Also, this workaround solves the problem for me:
Add "sleep 10" as the first command for the GNU/Hurd entry in grub.cfg
(in GRUB 2).

However, it is still strange and I have no idea where it comes from.
Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Tomas "trosos" Tintera