Re: Root device not found at boot

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: Root device not found at boot
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:41:26 +0100

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 01:18:41PM +0000, Balint Menyhart wrote:
> I have followed the different steps to install GNU/Hurd as described on
> the Debian web site. When coming to boot the first time onto my new
> system, The boot process stops and I get the following error message:
>
> start (hd0,3)/hurd/ext2fs.static: (hd0,3)/hurd/ext2fs.static:
> device:hd0s4: No such device or address

> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/sda2       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
> 1
> /dev/sda3       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/sda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> and my currently not mounted /dev/sda4 (ext2) containing my GNU/Hurd
> system.

That implies you're on SATA.  GNU Mach does not support SATA, so even
though Grub can boot the gnumach kernel and the two bootstrap modules,
the root file system server cannot access your Hurd partition because
GNU Mach does not provide support for it.

I think the only remedy is to enable some legacy PATA support in your
BIOS, if possible.  That is, if my above analysis is correct.

Michael