Re: Status of the Hurd ?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Status of the Hurd ?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:57:51 +0100 (CET)

   >    If you are interested in the GNU system in a strict sense,
   >    i.e. the official distribution of the GNU project, you also
   >    might want to follow gnu-system-discuss@gnu.org . Note however
   >    that this project is stalled currently.
   >
   > It isn't stalled in any shape or form.

   It isn't? Plese enlighten me. AFAIK nobody currently works on the
   GNU System Creator, on the snapshots, on unionfs startup, or
   anything else that would promote a GNU System release...

I don't see the point in producing new snapshots that use the same
version of packages.  The Hurd, GNU Mach, GCC and GNU C library needs
loving, and alot of it.  Releasing snapshots that use the same old
versions of things seems very pointless to me.

If you'd like to work on bootstraping issue in unionfs, please, by all
means.  I don't even have a machine to do such development on right
now, nor do I know anyone who is interested in hacking on unionfs
(there was a couple Indian hackers who showed some interest, but I
haven't heard anything from them in ages).  Would you like to work on
it? Would anyone else like to work on it?

As for promotion, yes, that would be a good thing to do.  Many people
use Debian, which is not 100% free software.  But promoting a system a
system that can't even handle a recompile of itself seems like
inflicting damage on yourself; this applies to Debian as well.

Cheers.