Re: Hurd and Unix/Linux and Plan9 features

From: Shams
Subject: Re: Hurd and Unix/Linux and Plan9 features
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 00:37:16 +1300

Thanks for the info.

Regarding HurdNG:
1. Now HurdNG is this going to be recognised by GNU as the official
kernel/userland
or is this going to run as a separate research project?

2. Are all Debian GNU/Hurd efforts and existing developers efforts going to
be towards
HurdNG. More specifically is the current Hurd going to be abandoned in
favour of HurdNG,
what is the future of this current Hurd?

3. Has the microkernel for HurdNG been chosen and if so then what language
is going to be
used for HurdNG and the microkernel?

4. Regarding finding sym links and hard links. I mean currently
/usr/bin/find resorts to traversing
the directory tree (which may be timeconsuming for example traversing from
the root path ("/") to
find each coressponding sym/hard link for the given directory? Couldn't this
be done somehow
with i-nodes directly where the i-node that given directory keeps records of
all symlinks and hardlinks
for it?

Thanks
Shams