Re: kernel debugger

From: Harley D. Eades III
Subject: Re: kernel debugger
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:43:55 -0600

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 16:16 +0300, Constantine Kousoulos wrote:
> Hello everybody!
Hello!

> At first, i tried installing debian-gnu-hurd-current.tar.gz on my
amd-based
> notebook. That effort failed to even boot hurd for the first time. So
i compiled
> GNU Mach only with ide drivers and the kernel debugger options
enabled. That
> failed booting too. After loading all the modules, at boot time, the
following
> message appeared:
>
> start /hurd/ext2fs.static: kernel General protection trap, eip
0x15b272
> kernel: General protection (13), code=23b
> stopped at 0x15b272: ret
> db>
>
> At least the debugger works!
:)

> Does anybody have a suggestion where/how i should start looking for
the root of
> the problem?
Well rooting out the problem is most desirable.  I would start with a
full backtrace
then move on from there.

> Do you think i should better find a pentium-based computer to hack
hurd to avoid
> an endless series of incompatibility problems with my amd notebook?
I would say no, since if there are errors on that hardware we need to
figure out what is unsupported or broke.  But if you are not up for the
task then moving to known to be working hardware might be a good move.

Cheers
Harley